Testing

Friday, August 5, 2016

Quality of Life in Software Engineering World

What does it mean to have a Quality of Life (QoL) for a Software Developer?

Until now, I say I would say.. be able to balance work and personal life.. be able to have a free weekend with family and friends is what would constitute QoL. Well, I have learnt some lessons today.

I am working on 4 node cluster which I need to work through deployment process for all of them. Means.. run the same bunch of scripts through all 4 nodes. In my old world, I would have done it like grandfather style by going to each terminal one by one and then executing them. I can say.. a ten step would effectively be 40 steps. You will be spending N *  # of Steps times the amount of time doing the same thing.

Today I discovered CSSH : Cluster Administration Tool. As usual when I first came across it, I tried and it didn't work. My first thought was, "Will get back to you later". Then, I realized that I need to finish this task before I move on to others and that made me go look back the installation steps again. I found few Perl packages where missing. I was again feeling annoyed but chugged along to get them all install one by one. When I finally got it all done, I wasn't feeling superbly great. Then I played with it for a while and suddenly realized that the tool is a great comfort and big time saver when it comes to doing the kind of task I am doing right now. My whole processing took less than 30 mins and I already feel very comfortable using it. I don't think I can go back the old model unless I am forced to.

I also learnt that even though I have to spent some time to get the QoL tool setup, this is a big saving in future. Maybe looking at it more small cost for big saving is the way to look at it. This saving of time can be employed to other task and make myself more efficient.

Enough about it now.

Bye now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello dear,my name is jaklin. I have done btech in cse and my brother in mechanical engeering. My brother working in Car towing service.I am working software engineering is hardly work for coding process.My experience share the quality is good life in software engineering.